Hi! I’m Étienne.
(Pronounced, roughly: ay-TYEN. The acute accent is optional, unless you’re fluent in French.)
(picture taken in October 2020 in Montreal’s parc du Mont Royal)
- a newsletter called Rabbit Holes, formerly Light Gray Matters. Published every Wednesday, and it’s about something interesting I dove into in the past week. It’s also the easiest way to subscribe to my writing.
- a blog called Dark Gray Matters, whose essays tend to be longer, more researched, and less common than in the newsletter. It’s often about history, science, and writing.
- a blog in French, on hiatus at the moment.
- tweets on my Twitter account, where my goal is mostly meeting cool people. My main claim to fame there is a viral thread on the miracle of cakes.
- some fiction, including a novel in French, about Quebec history, that I’m struggling to finish, and the occasional science fiction short story.
- for fun, a weather iOS app that aggregates data from several sources
- occasional freelance iOS programming work
- studied evolutionary biology in Sweden, in France, and at Harvard
- worked in cancer care data analysis for a year
- studied computer science at McGill
- worked as a macOS developer at Druide in Montreal
- was part of the first On Deck Writer Fellowship, which greatly helped me kickstart the blog
- worked part-time in the Interintellect, team, helping hosting awesome intellectual discussion salons